2 A.M.

Today’s writing challenge hosted by The Daily Post at WordPress.com  got my blog juices flowing. The prompt:  It’s 2AM and your phone has just buzzed you awake, filling the room in white-blue LED light. You have a message. It’s a photo. No words, no explanation. Just a photo. Tell us all about it. And what happens next..

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

I love my ring tone, but not at 2 A.M.

Every hair on my body, including the fine almost non-existent ones behind my knees, jumps to attention. There isn’t a down comforter in the world capable of warming the chill running through me. Something must be terribly wrong. Unless someone has been dumped by a boy or girlfriend, is drunk and can’t drive, or has been in an accident, everyone has specific instructions not to call me in the dead of night – even if someone has died. Sounds cruel, I know, but my reasoning is that I’d be in better shape after a good night’s sleep to deal with something that terrible. Dead is dead – and there would be plenty of time for tears in the morning. That said, I know no one has died. Thank God.

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

My heart pounds – not only in my chest. My ears throb. My throat closes. Someone must be hurt. I roll over and snatch the phone from the bedside table. For a split second, my hand over the screen casts an eerie shadow on the ceiling. It’s nothing like the happy barking dogs or free flying birds we made with our flashlights as kids.

QUACK! QUACK!

I slide a trembling finger across the bar – it’s a photo. She must have been a beauty. You could tell, even though her smooth olive skin was cracked, swollen, and smeared red. Her velvety blue eyes are barely noticeable from between the pair of luxurious long-lash-Maybelline painted slits. I am so mesmerized by her vacant stare that I don’t notice the thin red line across her throat right away. My free hand smacks against my mouth. It would muffle a shriek except the sound is caught behind the dam of frozen bile in my throat. Chest heaving, I

QUACK!

The text message reads, “Sorry, Mom. I was up late, working on that model for the book cover. Since you’re up now, what do ya think? Realistic enough?”

Thank you DPChallenge! This was an awful lot of fun!

About Donna Gwinnell Lambo-Weidner

Writer, Reiki Master, Wisdom Keeper, all around adventuress and everyone's cheerleader. I also love anything that deals with archery, armor, and swashbuckling. I can especially appreciate a good sword.
This entry was posted in ADVENTURES, SHORT STORIES, WRITING CHALLENGES and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to 2 A.M.

1. Pingback: Hocus Pocus | Paul Scribbles

2. smlbestest@aol.com says:

The beginning was great but I didn’t understand the end.

3. Lyn says:

LOL I’d kill her if she was my daughter and she did that to me. Book cover indeed! What a thing to do :-)

4. ubensmom says:

She needs a little spankie!

5. AvA_Martini says:

hahaha, I think that’s the kind of son I’d probably have…

6. Pingback: Smiles Are Everywhere | Cheri Speak

7. Ha ha brilliant! just stopping by to check out other entries Bx

8. Eoin Molloy says:

Brilliant, really enjoyed that :)

9. segmation says:

Hi Donna,
    It is interesting to me how so many people get ideas at 2 am! Not me, maybe call me boring but I am sleeping. Am I missing something?

10. Marthafied says:

Wow!! Now that was an ending!! Great story. I liked how sinister it went…lol….

11. i loved it! i love the description you gave the girl! good job!

12. szyana13 says:

Wow!! It was Awesome, really makes you want to read till the end.!!

13. TrishaDM says:

Haha! I have the quacking ring tone for texts too! It is fabulous!
    Great story.

14. Adam Drake says:

Wow! Great ending! I let a big breath I didn’t even realize I had been holding. I love the “Quack” ringtone too. It’s a cute touch.

15. Robin Puelma says:

Whew – you had me terrified there! Great build up and well done!

16. kindofabum says:

The ringtone sounds quacked me up. Good story.

17. James says:

Love it! Great story! And, I am so jealous with your ring tone :)

18. osherb says:

Nice blog!! Please visit mine!
    Cultclassik.wordpress.com
    Visit, read, comment, follow!!

19. Himani Gupta says:

That’s so cute of her..isn’t it? ;)

20. Wow, this was SO creative. I really enjoyed reading it :)

21. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

22. Congrats on being freshly pressed! :)

23. Ever vist jamaica. well in jamaica we would dat one deh selloff

24. Aerisa says:

This was great :) I laughed at the end. That naughty girl!

25. jasminonajourney says:

Nice twist at the end there – thanks for putting me onto the Daily Post too!

26. I must say, I’m very impressed by your ability to hold such a tension in the reader regardless of the humorous ringtone chiming in periodically to pull you back into reality.

And I liked the ending, that made me chuckle!

27. This is fantastic! Love your writing, I’m going to follow you :)

28. I’ve never seen such entailing writing from a blog before!

29. cyrusquick says:

If you have achieved a regular sleeping pattern, then you need to take one step more: buy a simple alarm clock that sounds at getting-up time, and switch off that other unnecessary modern device during sleeping hours. Naturally, you will have a smoke alarm; that is all you need. As to the young lady: how is she to know that you keep the device switched on all night, rather than switching it off and checking it the next day? Her behaviour is perfectly proper. She assumes that you are similarly organised and sensible.

30. lulugagan says:

I really liked reading this. It had genuine family colour to it, and it is something we can all relate too. Of course at 20 and living at University, I am usually the one texting my mother at 2AM. It’s a shame she isn’t a blogger.

31. noirfifre says:

Oh thank goodness, it ended that way. Sigh of relief.

32. The Casual MineCrafter - davemakeslols says:

Being a young author, I think that was great!

33. Noma9 says:

Hahaha, that was terrific. I love the twist ending! Defnitely seems like something I’d do to my mom, heh. Nicely done.

34. Tan ann jee says:

You could definitely see your skills within the article you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    At all times follow your heart.

35. leeog1 says:

I have an idea that the recipient of the message is looking at their own mutilated body. I’m yet to work out how but I’ll come up with something and jot it down.

36. tsukichan44 says:

If I were you, I would kill my daugther hehe intresting post!

37. suellfamily says:

Too famaliar in my home as well…enjoyed it

38. Great stuff Donna. Loved the ending….x

39. I like the post, Donna.
    I perfectly understand the effect a 2:00 a.m. message would have had.
    Having said that, I feel that you can forgive the person since he/she was working on that model at that hour of the night.
    Assumption: He/She wasn’t lying. :-)